Hundreds of companies have fulfilled the Compact for Safe Cosmetics pledge to make safer products and have earned the title “Champion” from the Campaign for Safe Cosmetics.
EWG is a founding member of the Campaign. Since 2004, EWG has helped hundreds of companies meet the pledge by providing technical support and tools for them to disclose all their ingredients to the public.
By November 2011, when the Compact closed, 322 companies had met the challenge.
You can use EWG’s Skin Deep cosmetic safety database to find products made by the Champions. You can also find products made by companies that earned “Innovator” status for making great strides toward meeting the Compact. If a company has qualified for Champion or Innovator status, its products will be so designated in the Environmental Working Group’s Skin Deep® database.
By November 2011 our Champions had:
• Complied with the European Union’s Cosmetics Directive, widely considered the global gold standard of cosmetics safety regulation.
• Disclosed all ingredients, including chemicals in “fragrance,” a complex mix of ingredients found in 40 percent of all personal care products; in the U.S., the components of “fragrance” can be shielded as a trade secret, even when the chemical cocktail contains hormone disruptors, carcinogens and other harmful substances.
• Published and regularly updated product information in Environmental Working Group’s Skin Deep cosmetics database so that consumers had ready, online access to listings of all product ingredients.
• Complied with any additional ingredient prohibitions and restrictions under the Compact for Safe Cosmetics and substituted ingredients of concern with safer alternatives.
• Participated in the Campaign for Safe Cosmetics.
Champion companies (Top 10)
Champions of the Compact for Safe Cosmetics
1. Acquarella LLC